The principal of StraightUp Environmental is David A. Johnson.
David is an Environmental Technologist with a passionate interest in the Environment.
David completed an Advanced Diploma in Environmental Technology from Fanshawe College in London, Ontario, Canada, and has a number of years of hands-on field experience, particularly in the field of Aquatic Biomonitoring. He has worked with a number of organizations such as the Upper Thames River Conservation Society, and serves as Advisor, Aquatic Sustainability to Quest Leadership Services in Toronto.
David has extensive knowledge of legislation pertaining to the environment, including the Environmental Protection Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and the Fisheries Act.
He has performed hundreds of Fish and Fish Habitat Assessments with the UTRCA and has compiled over a thousand hours of Electrofishing. He has gathered and Identified hundreds of Benthic Samples (family level identification).
David is intimately familiar with stream remediation and restoration techniques as well as all species of fish and macroinvertebrates in Ontario. He is experienced in performing a wide range of manipulation of test samples using a full suite of standard industry testing instruments and Protocols.
David has excellent analytical and critical thinking skills and applies these in the delivery of comprehensive analyses and reports to his clients in a clear and concise manner. He is also computer literate, and uses the latest IT tools and techniques on platforms such as Microsoft Office, and particularly Excel.
Davis also holds certifications and licenses in the following areas:
- Electrofishing Certification Upper Thames River Conservation Authority (2013)
- Ontario Benthos Bio-monitoring Network Certificate of Training, University of Waterloo (2013)
- Certified Family Level Taxonomist for Aquatic Invertebrates The Society of Freshwater Science
- Ichthyology Certificate of Completion Royal Ontario Museum (2012)
- Standard First Aid CPR Level C Canadian Red Cross, Valid 2014
In his work with the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority (2011-present), David was responsible for a wide range of Aquatic Biomonitoring services, including
- Benthic identification and Data entry
- Identification of Macroinvertibrates to Family Level Taxonomy
- Stream habitat assessments including water chemistry
- Benthic sampling and identification to family level
- Fish sampling and identification throughout the Upper Thames River Watershed
- Monitoring before and after effects of a removal of a barrier in the watershed and also the effects of artificial riffles
- Working with the Endangered Species Department to gather and incubate Spiny Soft Shell Turtle eggs
- Working with the Thames River Angling Society to tag Steel Head Trout
David Attended Fanshawe College in London, Ontraio from 2010-2013, graduating from their Advanced Diploma program in Environmental Technology.
This comprehensive and intense program of studies included significant lab and lecture studies. A partial listing of the professional (full) courses taken include;
- General, Organic and Analytical Chemistry;
- Instrument Methodologies;
- Environmental Issues;
- Water Quality Management;
- Water Distribution and treatment;
- Air Quality Monitoring;
- Water Quality Sampling and Evaluation;
- Industrial Hygiene;
- Advanced College Math,
- Statistics and Calculus;
A comprehensive listing of the Courses that comprise this Program, as well as detailed descriptions and learning outcomes, can be found Here.